St. James the Less Catholic School participates in the Inland Catholic Schools League, "ICSL". Students in fifth through eighth grades may become members of the following sports teams: Fall: Boy’s Flag Football, Girl’s Volleyball; Winter: Boy’s and Girl’s Basketball and Soccer. Students in first through eighth grades may participate in the ICSL track meet held in the spring. Cheerleading squads are active during the entire sport’s season. See the school administration for further details.
Students who wish to participate in athletics at St. James must meet specific obligations in order to be considered eligible to compete. Failure to meet the conditions outlined below could result in the student not being allowed to practice or compete with his or her team. Requirements to participate are as follows:
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA or better in course work.
- Maintain a grade “B” average or better in conduct.
- No conduct/behavior referrals (Detention/Suspension).
- May not have a grade ‘F’ in any subject. Students whose grades drop will be placed on academic probation and will not be allowed to practice or play until their grades are raised.
- Attend all after school practices and games. Poor attendance could result in removal from the team.
- Practices are held from 3:15pm - 5:00pm. Individual coaches will determine practice schedule. Times may vary.
- Athletes must wear PE uniforms to practice.
- Athletes are required to attend all games. Teams depend on the participation of all players.
- Pay designated sport fee prior to the first game.
- All students are encouraged to participate. However, if more students try out than can be sustained by the team's roster, a formal try-out will take place and cuts will be made.
If you have school spirit then you are perfect for this group! The cheer team is open to ALL students at St. James, grades TK through 8th. The cheerleading squads participate in local city parades and various school activities and events. Our cheerleaders also travel to Notre Dame High School and Aquinas High School to cheer for the school's sports teams throughout the school year. Go Irish!
The St. James the Less Catholic School Choir is open to students in grades 3rd to 8th. These students meet after school once per week to prepare for the weekly school liturgy. The school hosts the 11am parish Mass once per month, and the school choir is also invited to sing during these celebrations.
St. James the Less Catholic School has a system of student government whereby student commissioners from 6th through 8th grades are elected by the student body to perform a variety of responsible functions. This enables students to experience leadership and citizenship opportunities. A staff member acts as coordinator for the program. A student’s continued participation on the Student Council is at the discretion of the administration.